THE CORE VALUES OF BCF
“And they devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers.” (Acts 2:42)
We do not seek to be a community centered upon our ourselves or even upon service to the world. We are a people who come together first for the purpose of hearing, studying, and applying the Bible, which is God’s authoritative revelation about himself and about our salvation in Jesus Christ. This means we value…
- God’s Word – preaching, teaching, and applying the Truth which sets us free.
- Christ-centered ministry – we exalt Jesus as Lord and all-sufficient Savior.
- Spiritual life – the Holy Spirit transforms and empowers us to live for the Lord.
- Training – equipping children and adults through Christian education.
“…from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love.” (Ephesians 4:16)
But we do not stop there. BCF is more than a teaching and preaching center! God’s Word through God’s Spirit creates us to be God’s people. Healthy relationships are formed, and we are enabled to love one another and to experience forgiveness. We seek to be the family, the kingdom, the body he has called us to be. This means we value …
- Corporate worship – we gather to worship God and to hear his Word.
- Small groups give us context for love and accountability.
- Every person is gifted by God in some way and called to serve others.
- Team leadership – we serve together, striving to follow Christ’s leadership.
“Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you.” (Matthew 28:19-20)
But being a local church, we do not exist as an end in ourselves! We exist to take the Good News of Jesus Christ to the world. Because we have received such blessing, we are called to be a blessing to our wider community, and to the world. This means we value…
- Making disciples – winning, building, and sending mature followers of Christ.
- Mentoring the next generation – a vital dimension of our mission.
- Our neighbors – we will cross the aisle and street to reach them.
- The nations in our midst and abroad – we will cross cultures to reach them.